Friday, May 7, 2010

Gaz v. Science

Today at dinner, after I came up with residual static as the reason the very slick Old Maid cards were sticking together, Gaz proceeded to explain my explanation right back at me. Then she asked "Is that scientific?"

Why, yes, yes it is. Just like when you told Mom about how the sun isn't a planet, it's a star made up of gasses that melt together and create heat and light and energy. That is indeed scientific.

She said she's good at science, and we opined that she should see if her first science fair went well, whenever that happened. I proceeded to tell her we've got a number of friends who actually work in science, so if she ever needs project ideas, we have aunties we can go to. I was particularly thinking of Auntie Nikki, in part because she was recently at a science fair, and she loves science! (and reads this blog), but we would take ideas from anyone!

Anyway. Science is good!

4 comments:

Christina said...

I love science fair projects! I've judged a few. Be sure and post when she is actually coming up on a science fair -- the best advice I have right now is to avoid the same old ones everybody does: the volcano model, the solar system model, the growing of beans with water vs. vinegar, etc.

Mark said...

Yes! The more skilled resources, the better!

Mark said...

I just told Gaz that Auntie Christina would be a good resource when she started doing science fairs, and she asked: "Can I go to the science fair? Are there rides?"

Science fair rides! Oh man! I can just imagine what the Midway would look like!

Niki said...

Go with trash robot models - they bust me up.