Monday, December 6, 2010

Letters and St. Nick

Can you tell I've got a bit of time off work?

In last week's homework (for which she must practice writing a letter--upper & lower case--and then draw a picture of a thing that begins with that letter), E was for Earth. It was originally "Evil," but there was editorial disagreement over how one would draw it. I suggest a mean face, but Gaz insisted that would be too easily confused with "angry." Earth is much easier to draw.

Today, F is for Ferris-Whee-at-Navy-Pier. I've been trying to talk her into at least writing out "ferris wheel," but it seems that if she can't write out the whole thing, she won't write down any of it. Since she drew in a huge crowd all around the ferris wheel and popcorn stand, I'm guessing it will just have to stay untitled. We had nary an argument about getting the homework done, or sitting down to the homework, or anything at all homework related, and for this I am infinitely grateful.

I hope you all have had a happy St. Nicholas Day! Gaz got a chocolate snowman from the German market, new paints, a bracelet, and many stickers, some of which she took to school to share with her class. Mrs. K. was so excited that Gaz wanted to share her shoe loot, because she celebrates the day in an appropriately German fashion at her house too.

4 comments:

Niki said...

Which side of the family is German?

Lovely Wife George said...

I think we've got German on both sides (for me, it's the Rizens). And the old hometown is quite German, so I grew up with St. Nicholas Day presents.

Niki said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Niki said...

I meant danke, of course.