Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Happy New Year!

We've got plenty of snow here, which meant that the whole family went out to play in the snow yesterday. Our landlords were awesome enough to let Gaz borrow a sled, so we pulled her around the back yard until we were ready to collapse. There were snow angels and many attempts at snow balls, and Gaz threw every piece of ice she found. I don't know what the ice throwing was about, but she especially likes that. There are pictures, but I haven't done anything with them yet. It was still snowing while we were out and the screen was always getting obscured by new flakes, so I just took a bunch. I'll sort through them today if Gaz cooperates. Now for the New Year's Day hodgepodge:

Mark: We're having Hoppin' John for dinner so we have good luck in the new year.
Gaz: I LOVE Hoppin' John!
Gaz takes a big bite of beans
Gaz: What Hoppin' John mean?

That was dinner. After dinner she was perpetual motion girl, due to a long nap that afternoon. We played with a squeaky bug pull toy that plays music:

"Everything falling down!
Bridge falling down!
Trees falling down!
My fair lady!!!" (Trying to sing "London Bridge")

"Berry chocka, berry chocka. . . That funny word!" (Trying to sing "Frere Jacques")

Last night we were reading "The Poky Little Puppy" she started reciting part of it--over and over and over again and then cackling "I did it! Hehehehehehehehe!". I was not allowed to finish the story, and then she went looking for dragons in the bedroom.

I fell asleep last night while getting yon Gaz to sleep, so I have forgotten the other wacky hijinks I was going to blog about, but I'm sure they were picturesque and memorable. May all your wacky hijinks be picturesque and memorable this new year!

4 comments:

J. Burroughs said...

I can't remember: why do you do Hoppin' John for New Year's? My family's tradition was always to make big sub sandwiches on New Year's Day. No spiritual or luck reason--we simply like big subs. Naturally, I continued that tradition at my house this year.

Happy New Year's!

Lovely Wife George said...

It's all Angeli's fault--she's infected us with her crazy Southern ways!

I don't think we grew up with any New Year traditions, per se, in my house (Nana Cel, Papa Charley--please correct me if I've forgotten something big), so we've picked up the black-eyed peas. They're really tasty (especially with much tabasco sauce!).

Christina said...

What the heck are hoppin john?

Christina said...

Never mind, I wikipedia'd it. Sounds yummy.