Thursday, January 24, 2008

welcome to my nightmare

Gaz was following me around the apartment this morning, as she usually does. I went to set something down in the kitchen, but when I turned around she wasn't there. I thought she was playing in her bedroom, but no, she wasn't there. I called for her and the reply came from down the hall . . .

She was standing on the bathroom vanity, having climbed up there with nothing more than her death-defying nerves and a boost from the toilet. Fortunately I contained my shock well enough that I didn't startle her into a fall.

She's also just figured out how to use her pretty pink Ikea stool to open the top drawer on the entertainment center (the one where we keep her crayons and makers).

Now we are well beyond the stage where we can keep her from doing scary and/or destructive things by simply making them unavailable. Now we have to hope that she listens to the things we tell her. This has worked pretty well so far for the knife drawer, but that doesn't have anything fun in it. I don't know how we're going to deal with the markers yet.

I'm never going to sleep again. Not until she's forty.

6 comments:

kuroshii said...

hide them somewhere else, like the top shelf of the bedroom closet...only, she's not allowed in the bedroom (and the door must be closed) when you take them out and put them away, because they're MAGIC markers after all.

Christina said...

I agree, hide them. But I'd take the lesser of the evils and put them someplace that if she does go after them, she doesn't have to climb. 'Cause I'd rather have marked up walls.

kuroshii said...

um...i meant arrange the situation so she doesn't actually know where they are. if that's possible.

Christina said...

Yeah, I know. I'm just not convinced that's possible, unless they never come out in her presence. They see EVERYthing.

Lovely Wife George said...

Yeah, she definitely sees everything, no matter how hard I try to be sneaky. And things like bedroom closets, which she's never seen opened ever in her life, I don't want her to know she can open, because Proton likes closets for peeing in.

We're probably going to have to massively rearrange our Billy shelves, and put all the art supplies that could damage walls and things up in some kind of box. Or something like that.

Christina said...

Hey - Niki "tagged" Elizabeth, so now we're tagging Gaz. You're supposed to tell seven totally random things about yourself (Gaz, that is), and then tag seven of your friends. Although we're only tagging three. Lucky you.