Monday, October 3, 2005

blog interrupted

Imagine that--tending to an infant taking up all a person's spare time! Such is life these days. Gaz continues to eat up hours and hours, and all she has to do is be cute in order to get me to drop everything else for her. That or cry, but we try to keep that to a minimum.

She's two months old as of yesterday and she's quite the large child. She just weighed in at 14 pounds 14 ounces today and she's 25" long now. She's currently wearing mostly 6 month size clothes and stage two diapers if anyone is considering buying anything for her. I've already started a box for the clothes she's grown out of and then had to upgrade to a larger box. I know we didn't get her in everything we were given, but I had no idea that she would (a) be so big at birth or (b) grow this fast. Hopefully there are some more girls waiting to be born into the family somewhere that can use some of this stuff.

So basically Gaz is wonderful, all hugeness aside. She smiles and giggles and coos, especially first thing in the morning when I'm changing her diaper. The gal loves her brief naked time. Her waking up so happy makes those few days when she's generally inconsolable easier to take. I can't remember or imagine life without her now; she's taken over my higher brain functions and I don't care one whit. I'm beginning to wonder if the reason I never had any particularly monumental career ambitions is because some part of me knew that this was going to be the really important work for me. I still love being a secretary and I really, really love copyediting, but if given the option I would choose Gaz over everything. If only that job paid.

I went back to my part-time office job last week and it was pretty rough on me. Gaz fared better, although for a while she was dead set on not taking the bottle from Babysitter Lisa. Now that she seems to have figured out that she can get milk out of a bottle when Mama's not around, hopefully she'll develop a more normal apetite. I pump on the days I'm away from home enough to keep my milk supply up and since Gaz hasn't been taking bottles well I've been filling the freezer with bags of expressed milk.

Right now she's sleeping off the angst of having four shots this morning and I'm trying to maybe catch up on email and blogging. I'm going to go back and fill in some of the blanks now, like with labor and delivery and such. Soon I'll be sleeping off the angst of trying to figure out where to get a flu shot. Tis the season.

No comments: